Task 3a for Peter

The narrative theories that I looked into a while back (Propp's Character Theory, Todorov's Narrative Theory, The Hero's Journey, Binary Oppositions) have informed the development of my characters and storyline of my interactive film. The theory that I think is the most relevant to my film would have to be Todorov's Narrative Theory. This is because this particular theory states that a character/character's start off in a state of normalcy; something then comes along and disturbs this serenity. My interactive film is about a small group of friends that attend college and live a fairly average life until they start receiving text messages from an anonymous source. The messages blackmail are the friends into doing tasks for them. I think that my film abiding by the conventions of this theory is important to convey how bad the situation is compared to the characters normal.  My film does not really conform to the codes and conventions of Propp's Character Theory though as my narrative simply does not flow this way. Although, the anonymous blackmailer would fit the bill of the villain type character as they oppose the friends' characters in my film. The other characters in my story (the three friends) do not fit any of the character types described in the theory. They are not heroes as of such. Throughout the story, they are trying to do what they think is right. My character's do not go through the full stages in the theory of The Hero's Journey although there is a call to adventure being the first text message sent to the friends by the anonymous source at the start of the film.  My film does not make use of the Binary Oppositions theory.

Audience theories (Representation, Hypodermic Needle Model, Uses & Gratifications Model and the Encoding/Decoding Model) have inspired the creative decisions in film style, framing, editing, sound, mise-en-scene, and casting. My characters were not informed by the idea of Representation. When going about making the film I knew that my group would have to act as the roles in my film so I did not envision how the characters were going to look physically. Although I did, in fact, think a lot about costuming and how the characters were going to be presented. The character of Emma, for example, was to wear clothes that looked trendy yet average for a college student to portray a character that my demographic could relate to.  A recurring theme throughout my interactive film is the messages sent to the friends. This is necessary to show how the intensity of the situation is increasing. I used mise-en-scene in my film to further the sense of realism that I was trying to create. For example, the actors used body language and facial expressions in order to appear anxious and shocked at certain points; also to appear relaxed and content around their friends at times to create a contrast.  The purpose of my film is to entertain an audience. It does not have a strong message or an informative tone.  I expressed to the audience that the villain in my film was, in fact, the villain by showing the despicable messages they send and also by showing the other characters fearful reactions to them.  Some audience may decode my production and come away with a very different message than the one which I tried to convey. For example, they could think (depending on the options they chose) that the consequences are the friend's characters fault for doing the wrong things and making the "wrong" decision.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Game Website analysis